gaming... for a 15-month old

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Wed Dec 23 08:06:05 EST 2009

The suggestions for games for 3-year olds last week got me thinking
about my 15-month old son.

We've got a table set up at home with a computer running Ubuntu next
to a computer running Mac OS X.  the 15-month old is tall enough that
he can reach the keyboards and mice and he really likes to press the
buttons.  He does seem to notice that he's affecting things on the
screen, but it doesn't seem like he's doing anything on purpose.  It
seems to be working okay at the moment as long as we keep an eye on
him (and make sure to close Gnucash before he starts pressing keys).

Is there any way to switch the computer into "toddler mode": where
every keystroke gives some visual or audible feedback, and the hard
drive and network are not written to?

We do have some plastic "educational" toys that do something similar,
but he's always more enthralled by the "real thing" (cell phones,
ipods, laptops, desktops, remote controls).  He usually gravitates
toward whatever the parents are using.

Thanks,
Peter