[semi-OT] configuring DNS, virtual hosting on dreamhost (?)

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Thu Dec 24 19:53:51 EST 2009

> [...]  You're basically relinquishing all control of the domain to
> DreamHost, until and unless you change the delegation to nameservers
> you control.  Your involvement -- and control -- is now nil.
> Presumably you're okay with that, or you wouldn't have done it.

Right.  As you say, I have relinquished DNS control by delegating to
dreamhost's servers.  What I don't understand is how he *acquired* control
as nobody ever contacted me to verify that I intended him to do as he did.

> [...]  To put it another way: I can configure a virtual hosting
> section in the Apache httpd.conf on my home PC here

Right, but you're authorized to do whatever you want on your systems
while I assume he is not supposed to have free rein in the dreamhost DNS.
What if another dreamhost customer decides to redirect the new domain
to somewhere else?  How does dreamhost decide who's entitled to make
such changes?

 (sorry if I'm being dense - Wassail!)