Conducting GNHLUG business on Facebook (was Stop! Unix Time)

mark prgrmr at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 22:02:02 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Michael ODonnell <
michael.odonnell at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Facebook tells me I need to sign up to use their service.  I'm not
> > really thrilled with the idea
>

> Me, neither - Facebook would seem to be a poor choice as a venue for
> conducting GNHLUG business as (it seems to me that) Facebook is not
> really in keeping with much of what the GNHLUG is about:

You have to go where the people are.  There are several Linux-based groups
and one Unix group on facebook. There's the potential for quite a lot of
exposure there, but it has to be tapped into.

Over ten years ago, I used to be a programmer on a proprietary database
called "Pick". I transitioned into Unix because the company that owned the
product did almost no advertising, and the market for programmers was
shrinking. The owner was convinced that his (at the time) superior product
would continue to draw new customers solely on its own merits. And he was
wrong. After he passed away, the company merged with an even more niche
company and now they are slowly fading into obscurity.

--
mark