Displaying only data matching a pattern?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 15:37:22 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM, kenta <kenta at guster.net> wrote:
> I did have to change the single quotes to double quotes
> for some reason ...

  Single-quotes (') have no significance to the Windows shell.  So the
shell would still have done tokenization on the spaces within the awk
script, and awk expects its script to be a single C argument.
However, double-quotes are still used to constrain the text within to
a single token, similar to the Unix shells.

  Unlike Unix, the Windows shell does not strip the quotes (IIRC).  It
leaves them intact as part of the token.  I would guess most Unix
ports introduce some kind of compatibility layer to handle argument
quoting.

  The Windows shell is a crock, if you haven't figured that out yet.  :)

-- Ben