Amazing Source

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Fri Feb 6 08:48:18 EST 2009

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViGntIpdpyw

>  John..

>  How low have you sunk?  :-D

I know you meant this as a joke, but let's see:

It took Dennis and I (and Thammy, Dennis' girl friend and our camera
person) about one hour to get the raw video.  I had bought the headgear
and eyepatch in the US and brought them to Brazil.  We sat in the bar
and took several takes, adjusting for light, etc.

Then it took me about six hours to learn Kino, learn Inkscape and do the
editing.  I got stuck for a while in how to take a jpeg and turn it into
a title or credits slide, but a friend of mine that does video all the
time sent me *a video* on how to do it.  SVEET!

So a couple of hours after that and the movie was ready.  Total
production time (including "learning kino") was about eight hours.

At this point in time, with the video being up on YouTube for two days,
319 people have watched it and I have seven subscribers to see what I
come out with next.

I have not bogged about the video yet, so I imagine some more people
will view it then.

I just finished writing an email to the Australian Linux User's group
about "Software Piracy", its bad effect on the economy, and how people
do not understand that "gratis" software is still not "free".

I just noticed that I had someone in Iran watch it. :-)

I hope to develop more videos that both get a message across and are
"fun".

How low can I sink to get the word out about Free Software?

Look for my next videos:

"Twenty Thousand Leagues With Free Software"

http://www.orkut.com/Main#AlbumZoom.aspx?uid=12387958635028851457&pid=1232384650367&aid=1232359086$pid=1232384650367

and

"Brother maddog Says Closed Source Software is Bull!"

http://www.orkut.com/Main#AlbumZoom.aspx?uid=12387958635028851457&pid=1203348105305&aid=1203322529$pid=1203348105305

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several
countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used
pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.