linux accounting software or cheap winxp

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Tue Feb 17 09:48:42 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 17:31 -0500, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 21:42 +0000, VirginSnow at vfemail.net wrote:
> > > Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:45:25 -0500
> > > From: Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
> >
> > > GNUCash is not really an accounting system. Others have listed several.=20
> >
> > Oh, really?!  Now that you mention it, you're right.  It's funy how
> > I've contributed code to Gnucash and never noticed that it wasn't an
> > accounting system... *scratches head*
> >
> > How is Gnucash not an accounting system?
>
> Well perhaps I have not looked at it recently enough, but it did not
> support invoicing and accounts receivable the last time I looked.  In
> other words, it was more of a "Quicken" than a "QuickBooks".
>
> I'm installing it now.

Gnucash looks like it can do the job!  There is support for accounts
receivable and payables.  So Gnucash is more than just personal finance.

Thanks for setting me straight.

NOTE-- The payroll documentation says:

GnuCash does not have an integrated payroll system.  While you can track
payroll expenses in GnuCash, the calculation of taxes and deductions has
to be done outside of GnuCash.

That's the last piece a small business would seem to need.