linux accounting software or cheap winxp

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 17 10:37:05 EST 2009

VirginSnow at vfemail.net writes:

> When I used Gnucash, I made most of my entries with the ledger in
> general journal mode.  It wasn't immediately obvious how to do it, but
> there were ways to make it look like/behave real books.  Much of the
> code that I contributed (the P&L report among it) was intended to
> bring Gnucash's reports more in line with GAAP.  IIRC, it had support
> for AR/AP back in 2004.  (I have vague memories of having used AR/AP
> reports for homework problems.)  But again, it was never really
> obvious how to access many of these features.
>
> /me looks for warlord...

/me pops up

> Derek Atkins was one of the primary developers of Gnucash, and he used
> to be subscribed to this list.  Maybe he could shed some light on
> this.

I'm still here.  Just was offline all weekend so just catching up
now (as you'll see from my half-dozen replies to this thread).

The business code in GnuCash is like a separate module bolted to
the side.  There is some integration but it's mostly one-sided.
There's a Business menu and all Business functionality derives
from there (including making entries into AR and AP).  The interface
is admittedly still a little klunky, in particular having to
go through the whole search functionality to find a customer or
vendor..  It would be much better if we had something like a
GtkEntry with a proper GtkCompletion, but nobody has donated the
code to work on that.

-derek