OpenMP -- anyone with experience using it?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Feb 23 09:17:00 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net
> wrote:

> Anyone ever use OpenMP?  It is designed to parallelize code for
> computing platforms that have multiple processors with shared memory.

Sun's clustering product is based on OpenMP and I've installed it on some
Solaris systems for my users to experiment with.  Sun also has the package
for Redhat and maybe SLED.  Sun is tracking OpenMP closely.

> I have successfully used OpenMP to implement some parallel for loops.
> It nearly gives a N times improvement if the problem is big enough.
>
> Is there a better or alternate way to accomplish this pipelining process?
> Thanks,
> -Bruce

I'm a sysadmin and not a programmer FWIW.  It seems the HPC community is
standardizing OpenMP and that's probably a good thing.  Sun is probably
going to release its code if it hasn't already.