linux accounting software or cheap winxp

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 14:55:51 EST 2009

VirginSnow at vfemail.net writes:

> There's a GTK-based (gnome-based glade-based guile-based...)
> accounting package called Gnucash (www.gnucash.org).

My latest current complaint with GnuCash is the lack of support for
commodities purchased outside of a commodity exchange.

What I want to do is enter my receipts for gas for my car, both for me
and my wife, then run a report on some periodic basis comparing
gasoline usage.

I can't just ask: "How much did I spend on gas compared to last year?"

That is an insufficient question with the volatility in oil prices.  I
don't purchase gasoline from an exchange either, something GnuCash
seems to want me to enter in order to track commodities.

My goal is to track the gasoline usage, not the cost of the gasoline I
use.  The former doesn't vary much, whereas the latter varies
drastically.

This is a simple concept which can be applied to anything which can
have a fluctuating currency value.

FWIW, 'ledger' makes this fairly simple.  And it uses emacs as an
interface to boot, which makes it even better in my mind ;)
--
Seeya,
Paul