Disk imaging for XP system

Michael Nolin michaelnolin at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 14:22:15 EST 2009

--- On Sat, 2/28/09, Chris <fj1200 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Chris <fj1200 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Disk imaging for XP system
> To: "Greater NH Linux User Group" <gnhlug-discuss at mail.gnhlug.org>
> Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 10:16 AM
> Hello All
>
> I have an XP system which I want to migrate from a 250GB
> IDE drive to a
> 500GB SATA drive, is there a live CD and package that would
> allow me to do
> that, I have tried Norton Ghost (2003) but that can't
> see the SATA drive,
> and I have also tried Powerquest partition magic image
> center with no luck
> because that barfs on some directory entry.
>
> WIll dd or some other program do the job or will I have to
> try to find some
> other package?

I used dd straigt from the linux rescue cd. Migrating windows XP partitions as well as linux partitions to a new larger harddrive for my old Dell 600m one hard drive in the laptop another in an external USB enclosure. I like Knoppix 5.1 for this as well but it was having a problem with old RedHat 9 partitions.  I've gotten away from Partition Magic it was not able to read all linux partitions. dd "Unix Power Tools", or Knoppix Hacks.

Michael Nolin
Embedded Solutions Unlimited, LLC