Disk imaging for XP system

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Sat Feb 28 21:18:25 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org>wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> > Hello All
> >
> > I have an XP system which I want to migrate from a 250GB IDE drive to
> > a 500GB SATA drive, is there a live CD and package that would allow me
> > to do that, I have tried Norton Ghost (2003) but that can't see the
> > SATA drive, and I have also tried Powerquest partition magic image
> > center with no luck because that barfs on some directory entry.
> >
> > WIll dd or some other program do the job or will I have to try to find
> > some other package?

I've played around with Clonezilla.  It's a live CD that will image the used
part of a Windows or Linux system to a fileserver (ftp/nfs/cifs/SSH host).
If it doesn't know the filesystem, it will dd the whole disk.  If you do
that, you can't shrink the disk when you unimage.

They have additions that will multicast to image multiple systems like ghost
can.

> I did this on my wife's machine some time ago (thought it was IDE to
> IDE).  Try g4l which is a bootable CD or USB stick.  It should allow you
> to go disk-to-disk, then use gparted to expand the NTFS partition.  Once
> you reboot XP, it will go through and do a disk check and you'll be set.

I've heard of g4l as well.