Thots on evolution vs t'bird.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sun Jan 11 13:02:28 EST 2009

I've been a pine user for almost forever and now we're in The Age of
Alpine. But the proliferation of html and other attachments is wearing me
down and I'm starting to wonder if the grass is greener if I switch to
something else that's not text based.

I installed t'bird, but when I did it asked me to set up an account and my
choices were either IMAP or POP. In fact, I'm running on my own lil home
server. i.e., my mail is local.

So, with that amazing and articulate intro, ...

* Does t'bird support local mail? How do I do it? Same for evolution.
* What do people like better (or best)?

And one last question. I do use the functionality of alpine and I'm hoping
to not lose more than I have to. For example, I do use Roles and I do on
occasion use the bounce command.

Roles allow me to define different defaults for certain message, e.g., I
can have a Home or a Work Role. In practice you end up with at least one
Role for each address you might bew using.

Bounce just means that I can send a message to someone and make it look
(sort of) like they are getting it on a bcc. (But they know it's not a
bcc.)

steveo at syslang.net