Postfix/Exim sender address rewriting (was: Postfix ... ComCast port 587)

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Thu Jan 22 11:45:00 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com>wrote:

> On 2009-01-21 1:06 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
> >    The scenario here (for me, and the OP) is rewriting email addresses,
> > not masquerading as a different host.:)
>
> Righto, and certainly you can do that with address rewriting, but why
> not setup the MUA properly in the first place?  I understand your edge
> case about gmail but I think you can consider yourself fortunately
> unique in that scenario. :)  On the broader topic of getting mail
> through, though, you need to use real hostnames when speaking SMTP on
> the Internet.

To that point, it is not a good idea to run your mail off of a dynamic IP
address anyway:
http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/index.lasso

I don't personally block using that list because of the caution at the
bottom of that page applies to my network and I am too lazy to set up a
separate server for filtering spam that does not care about internal
networks.  However, many places do use this and other such lists, so if you
send your mail from a local MTA that is not on a static (and clean) IPA,
then you are likely to be score much more harshly by spam filters (including
SpamAssassin) or just rejected altogether by the receiving MTA.  Or in my
case, after I setup a script to watch the mail log for spamhaus rejected
IPAs (again, not the PLB, but the other 2), and add them to iptables with a
drop action just to slow the dirty little buggers down. =)