in-store Laptop testing (was Re: buying a laptop either bare or with Ubuntu)

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Thu Jan 22 16:57:22 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:

> On 01/22/2009 03:02 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
>
>>  Can the proprietary driver packages be copied to a separate USB
>> flash drive, and then installed into the in-RAM "live" system?
>>

> The simple answer is yes. What you would need to do is to is to open up the
> iso, copy in the appropriate drivers or packages, then make a new iso, and
> either burn a new CD or USB. You could simply grab the appropriate .rpm or
> .deb files to install by hand. Knoppix has a good tutorial on how to
> customize, but since you don't know the target system, just copy in the
> appropriate packages and install them after boot.

Has any one played with the "Make a USB Startup Disk" tool in Ubuntu 8.10?
I think it just showed up when I upgraded from 8.04 but maybe I installed it
a while ago and forgot.  Find it Under System > Administration > Create a
USB startup disk.  It looks pretty sweet.  Could be just the thing for
speedier testing and installing propritary drivers.