iptables out of memory?

H. Kurth Bemis kurth at kurthbemis.com
Fri Jan 23 11:54:53 EST 2009

This is something I haven't seen mention of;

While it might seem logical to block SPAM sources at the network level,
I would feel that you could be blocking legitimate mail/users at the
same time.  Many SPAM sources are mis-configured mail servers and
botnets.  While using iptables seems like a good idea, you're going to
end up blocking more then half of the IP space.

I would recommend using Spamhaus's ZEN blocklist
(http://www.spamhaus.org/zen/index.lasso). It is much more reactive to
listing and de-listing hosts then your iptables solution.

~k