WAP/Router for use with OpenVPN

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Mon Jul 6 21:58:42 EDT 2009

I have two early WRT54G systems that work really nice.  One acts as both
router to the Internet and AP for access to my internal network, the
other one for when visitors show up and/or have a 802.11b device.

I'm now looking to install OpenVPN with bridging so my wife can fire up
a client on her netbook and get access to her files that are on the home
server.  From what I've seen, the older WRT54Gs don't have enough memory
and/or CPU to handle doing that.

The additional problem is that Tomato doesn't have OpenVPN on it, so I
have to find another firmware.  Tomato has a nice web-based GUI that
makes it really easy to configure and get easy stats on.

So here I am.  Does anyone have this working now, and if so, what
hardware/software combination are you using?

-Mark