Notes from CentraLUG, 6-July 2009, Philip Sbogna and WINE

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Tue Jul 7 10:42:31 EDT 2009

Eight people made it to the July meeting of the Central New Hampshire
Linux User Group, www.centralug.org, held at its July location of the
Hopkinton Town Library.

Philip Sbrogna spoke and demonstrated Wine[1], the Microsoft Windows
(tm) API emulator for Linux. Phil showed us how the install and
configuration occurs, using a first-person shooter installed from CD. We
talked about the structure of the files installed (in the home
directory, under .wine), how to reset the Windows configuration (delete
everything under .wine and run wine again to rebuild the default
structure), where the registry files are stored (in the directory above
the drive_c directory), add-on tools that can help get specific
applications running (Winetools[2], Wine-doors[3], Winetricks [4]).
Members had lots of questions, on- and off-topic, and discussion was
vigorous and educational.

Tentative August meeting: a cookout, somewhere off I-93 exit 23. Stay
tuned for details.

Thanks to Philip for making the trip and making a great presentation
(despite projector difficulties) and to the Hopkinton Town Library for
the facilities.

[1] http://www.winehq.org/
[2] http://von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/
[3] http://wddb.wine-doors.org/