Router recommendations?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:43:32 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Bill McGonigle<bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> ... some of the Buffalo gear is now back on the market.

  Ah, I didn't know that.  (I haven't had much need to pay attention
until recently -- one drawback to having a steady gig at one company
is you loose touch with the parts of the market you don't need.)

  The price on the WHR-HP-G54 is nice.  No USB ports, but that's more
of a WIBNI than a real need for me.  Anyone know if the "built-in
amplifier" they tout actually does anything?  I kinda thought all
radios had an amplifier section.... :)

> Also look at the Fonera 2, it looks like a good value.

  It does.  But it only has a single LAN port, and I need a switch,
too.  I could use a stand-alone, of course, but that would be one more
box and wall wart and tangle of wires on my computer desk.

  Besides, one of the neat things about these all-in-one boxes is that
they often have a managed switch (as opposed to two NICs).  Not that
I've ever used that capability, but it's neat.  Same category as the
USB port.  ;-)

> -N could never go final, for all we know, so vendors
> are working on interop on pre-N.

  Yah, that's what they said about the first round of pre-N, too.
Granted, this one seems to be sticking around longer.

> That said, -N radios are more expensive than they should be, I think.  I
> don't personally have a use for medium-speed wireless that's worth the
> extra money.  -G is fast enough for Internet access and gigabit is for
> large file transfer.

  That's pretty much where I'm at, too.  :)

-- Ben