Finding *unfiltered* free WiFi?

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Fri Jul 10 02:51:37 EDT 2009

Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> Actually, it looks like OpenBmap <http://www.openbmap.org/> has
> already expanded their scope to include WiFi hotspots; it seems like
> access-restrictions might be just the sort of data that they'd want to
> include in their database--I don't know whether they've considered
> that prospect, yet.

Mostly open, but not 100% Free (Gratis), you might want to consider FON.

http://www.fon.com

It works like this:
You sign up and order one of their custom config'd accesspoints.  When
you get it, you plug it in to the 'net, wait for any updates, and
register it.

Now, you can log in at any other FON AP around the world in exchange for
letting any other FON AP owner log into yours.

They used to give away the access points, but now ask you to pay a
nominal price for them.  I have 20 coupons to get them for $20+S&H if
anyone wants.

Those who are not FON AP owners can get access by paying a fee.  You can
grant access to up to 5 "friends & family" on your AP... or give friends
the WPA key for the secure network...

It's a pretty good deal, I think.  But it needs more widespread
accesspoints to really make it worth while.  I own three of these and
they're not too bad. (One at my shop, one on loan and a third
un-configured that I plan to hack at some day.)

You can see a map of the FON locations at http://maps.fon.com

I like the idea, but I want to see more of it, too...

Share on!

Brian