Way to make Firefox appear to Website as IE6 ?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Jul 15 12:40:38 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:38 AM, <bruce.labitt at autoliv.com> wrote:

> Neil Joseph Schelly <neil at jenandneil.com> wrote on 07/15/2009 11:28:47 AM:
>
> > Is it enough to tell the server you're using IE?  I use User Agent
> Switcher
> > (Firefox extension), which lets you easily change the User Agent on the
> fly
> > between several pre-determined ones.  I find that most sites that
> disallow
> > unknown browsers work fine when I tell them it's IE or Firefox on
> Windows,
> > instead of Iceweasel on Linux.
> >
> > Or do you mean that you tried working with the application with Firefox
> and
> > Firefox couldn't run the IE-specific code?  If that's the case, I don't
> know
> > what you could do - sorry.
> > -N
>
> I will find out in a second.  I just installed User Agent Switcher.
> Doesn't work in
> IE6 mode.  I'll try IE7 & 8.  No joy.

YMMV with an agent switcher.  If the site uses the agent to determine what
code to feed (javascript, ActiveX) like it's supposed to, it won't work.  If
it uses the agent to say "we don't work on your browser" even though it's
generic HTML, it won't work.

> Is there an IE6 emulator?

I don't know if Wine will install & run IE, but that may be an option.

Have a Windows XP Pro system, connect to it w/ rdesktop and do all your
Windows stuff there  (that's what I do for Exchange/Sharepoint/Visio/etc &
it works well).

Install VirtualBox/VMware/KVM and run Windows inside that.  You can run
VirtualBox headless and rdesktop to that.  I've done that at home
successfully.  You can have it grab a regular IP from the LAN and IT can
admin it just like every other system on the net when it's running.