Phoronix test suite on CentOS5.2

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jul 17 12:44:07 EDT 2009

On Jul 17, 2009, at 11:59 AM, Michael ODonnell wrote:

> Anybody have any experience with the Phoronix test suite?
>
>   http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/
>
> I've seen some praise for it on the WWW but so far my impression is
> not good.  I've pulled both the 2.0.0b2 and the 1.8.1 tarballs (they
> also
> offer a .deb but no RPM) onto a fairly standard CentOS5.2 box and
> tried
> to rig it up but I'm not having any fun.  The core scripts (all
> written
> in PHP) generate error messages that seem to indicate they're not
> ready
> for primetime.  When I said to "install-all" it seems to choke on
> some of
> the test bundles it pulls over the wire; many of them require
> compilation
> from source, most of them spew rafts of warnings during their builds
> and
> a few of the builds fail to complete.  Also, I think it may have yum'd
> in some packages without so much as a by-your-leave, which is rather
> rude.

There was a semi-interesting thread on it on the fedora-devel-list not
too long ago... It does some slightly brain-dead things here and there
(like building its own apache for the web server benchmark, rather
than using the one provided by the distro), but its at least a decent
way to flag oddities in performance between distros.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-June/msg00787.html

fwiw, there's also a phoronix-test-suite package for Fedora, which
might work for CentOS too (or at least get closer to working), if the
packager had to tackle some of the same issues you're running into to
get it built...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com