best office/home office setup - the telecommuter

Mark Ellison ellison at ieee.org
Fri Jul 24 15:58:26 EDT 2009

I will chime in on this topic.  In the last few months I've purchased a
Lenovo W500 and a T500, a docking station and external monitor as well as a
Lenovo M57 desktop that I run headless as a Fedora 11 development platform.
I connect to the M57 using tightvnc.  The W50 also runs Fedora 11 like a
champ with full wireless capabilities.  I assume the T500 also supports
linux very well, but we have kept the T500 as a windows only machine.

What Greg said about screen resolution is correct WRT to the laptop LCD but
both T500 and W500 support 1920 x 1080 on external monitors that are capable
of this resolution.

The 'switchable graphics', a feature that is on both models allows you to
use the integrated graphics controller when on battery to save juice and
allows you to use the discrete graphics controller for high performance when
plugged in. The discrete graphics controller will handle 4 screens including
the laptop LCD as an extended desktop (four portions of one huge screen), or
you can duplicate screen contents if you prefer.  FYI to switch between
graphics modes, right click on the battery icon in the system tray to get
the context menu.

I purchased a wireless keyboard and mouse but find I prefer using the laptop
keyboard and a bluetooth mouse (so get the bluetooth option).  We also use
the integrated camera for skype video calls and use the fingerprint reader
instead of typing in passwords.

Like Greg suggested, two docking stations are a good idea- one for home and
one for the office.  There are four USB connectors on the docking station so
you can add disk storage this way.  There are also a variety of monitor
connectors on the docking station as well and of course there is an ethernet
connector and just in case someone somewhere really needs it, a modem
connector.

Regards,

Mark
http://EllisonSoftware.com