best office/home office setup - the telecommuter

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 01:36:50 EDT 2009

It's a fairly high-power machine; however, it is in regular use by upwards
of a dozen people, though only I use it as a desktop (and that is a
concession to waste-avoidance; servers should not ordinarily have desktop
software running on them).  When it's possible to have 3 TB of RAID storage
in my laptop, perhaps this will change, but I expect that by then I will
have outgrown the current RAID.

In 3 years or so it might be worth replacing it with a nettop and a couple
of large external drives, but at the moment a desktop with internal drives
is the only sensible way to maintain that much storage in a live state.

I *use* my hardware regardless of its proximity to my current location; for
those who do not, perhaps shutting it off makes sense.

Also, with a comment like that you had *better* own a Prius.  ;-)

--DTVZ