OT: green vehicles (was: Power management)

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Jul 29 10:27:32 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Star <nhstar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Alan Johnson<alan at datdec.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Bill McGonigle<bill at bfccomputing.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Isn't the nickel mining an environmental and thermodynamic disaster?
> >
> > Even taking that into account,
> > http://www.greenercars.org/highlights_greenest.htm lists the Prius as
> > the second most green vehicle.
>
> If you really want to go green, get a motorcycle or scooter...  for
> decades they've been cheaper and better for the environment.  My
> mid-grade cruiser get's about 60 mpg and can be fixed in my drive-way.
>  It's lighter than any hybrid car, is far far cheaper to manufacture,
> is lighter and has less foot-print on the road leading to
> exponentially less damage to concrete and asphalt surfaces (thus less
> need to re-pave), and considering people spend more time solo in any
> car it just makes sense.

My dual purpose '99 DR350 gets about 50 mph.  My '82 CB900F gets 28 MPH, but
I beat sportscars 0-60.  But you're right on all counts.  Some cities
(London) exempt motorcycles from downtown driving fees.

A scooter will give you a more upright seating with some wind protection &
more storage.

Okay, so it's not a good winter-choice, but hey!  we're talking about
> the environment here!!!

As someone who has done ice racing and off road riding in 1 foot of snow in
January, I'll have to agree.  If the roads are wet, it's ice and you don't
want to be on the road.  Well, maybe in a sidecar.  I see one around
Chelmsford alot.

Riding a motorcycle instead of a car is like using Linux instead of
Windows.  There are many similarities between the cultures.