[OT] DTV switch-over (was: Mythtv users + Comcast subscribers)

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Jun 1 08:58:19 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile)
> <greg at freephile.com> wrote:
> > ... Comcast is distributing little Digital to Analog converters (along
> > with their switchover to DTV broadcasts) ...
>
>  I thought the DTV switchover was mainly a problem for people
> receiving TV via OTA broadcast (over-the-air, i.e., antennas).  I
> thought the CATV companies could basically keep sending analog signals
> forever.  Or are they jumping on the digital-only bandwagon, too?

FWIW - I've got FiOS in Tewksbury.  I have 3 set top boxes and 3 analog TVs
connected.  Oh - I have S2 (analog) TiVos on them.  No convertes beyond
that.

Heck, I got a 2009 Mac Mini to hook up to TV and had to get a VGA to analog
svideo/composite converter (the passive DVI-A to analog adapters don't work
because it's DVI-D, not DVI-I; no analog signal to pass along).