Classic running out of memory... huh? what? <long>

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Jun 11 13:35:10 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:12 PM, <bruce.labitt at autoliv.com> wrote:

>  > I notice that there is no swap listed.  Umm, how does one add swap to a
> > nfs based system?
> >
> > NFS swap of course ;-)
>
> Have any good references on NFS swap?

The O'Reilly "NFS & NIS" book has a section on diskless clients.  pg 157 -
Managing client swap space.  It's Sun centric...

Basically, you create a swap file on the NFS server with mkfile..  Hmm, I
don't know what the equiv. Linuxism is.

Anyways, Create a swap file.  Share it out with root access on the client
On the client, mkdir a swap directory, mount the swapfile to that dir, then
add that as swap, err swapon

Hmm, from Linux swapon:
NOTE
       You  should not use swapon on a file with holes.  Swap over NFS may
not
       work.

:-<

> > I'm thinking this is a PS3?  Can you add firewire or usb storage?  usb
> > 2.0 might be slower then ethernet.  NFS would probably be the same
> > speed as iSCSI with much less effort.
>
> Not a PS3.  Same processor as PS3, except QS22 has faster double-precision
> and two processors!
>

> > The general rule of thumb is your OS shouldn't be using swap.  Swap (&
> > exssive paging) is a sign of crisis and the kernel is trying to
> > recover.  Sometimes it's faster to reboot then wait for the kernel to
> recover.
> >

> I know swap is evil.  But better than aborting a run...

Indeed.  HPC & other number crunching are not your standard apps.

> > Of course this assumes RAM is inexpensive enough, you can add more RAM
> > to the motherboard, your apps don't consume all available RAM.  Swap
> > provides a safety net.
> >
> > You're probably maxed on RAM already.
> Indeed.  Used all 32GB.  Maximum allowed on MB = 32GB... :(

I'm hoping as we move away from Win XP to 64 bits and VMware environments
that motherboards will start to allow lots of RAM.  Not many can handle more
the 64 GB.