Classic running out of memory... huh? what? <long>

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 11 15:46:02 EDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 3:25 PM, Lloyd Kvam wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 13:41 -0400, bruce.labitt at autoliv.com wrote:
>> I bet it won't do 480Mbits sustained.
>> (For a 10 GB file write) However, I just might try it for the heck of
>> it!
> I use external USB and firewire drives fairly regularly.  USB does not
> come close to achieving 48 MB / sec.  Firewire (400 mb flavor) does
> noticeably better than USB.
>
> Would dd from /dev/zero to /dev/sdX would be a reasonable way to
> benchmark the interface at the expense of any data on the drive?

Its a decent enough baseline for raw sequential write throughput.

> (I suppose higher quality hardware might do better.

There are definitely some FireWire chipsets that perform better than
others, but typically nothing orders of magnitude better than anything
else. Don't know any USB chipsets well enough to comment there.

In the FireWire disk realm, try to stick to Oxford bridges. Cheaper
ones from Initio and Prolific often are often just that: cheaper. And
less robust, and lower performance, etc. Host side, there's not a huge
difference from one controller to another anymore until you start
really loading up the bus with devices, but Texas Instruments and
Agere (now LSI) are typically considered the best options[1].

[1] http://www.ptgrey.com/support/kb/index.asp?a=4&q=146&ST=controller

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com