Classic running out of memory... huh? what? <long>

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 07:35:23 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Bruce
Labitt<bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> Using netperf I think I got 770e6 bps write rates, but for considerably
> smaller file sizes.  That is about twice the rate - but for a file at least
> 10 times smaller. Something about these big file writes that
> aggrevate OS's   :-)

  That's actually kind of interesting.  Typically, writing many small
files is slower than writing one big file -- the overhead of all those
open()/close() operations is more than just doing a bunch of write()
operations.  Unless the netperf utility is writing just *one* file and
it all fits in cache.  Of course, I haven't really dabbled in NFS
benchmarking, and what little I did was years ago.

> Although it would be fun to benchmark alternative storage schemes, that
> wasn't the original problem...

  Right, right, sorry, I wasn't suggesting you go do this right now.
:)  It was more along the lines of, if it gets to that point, you
should compare USB vs NFS and use whatever is faster for your
equipment, and not worry about what random people on the Internet say
they can do.

-- Ben