Analog Modems?

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Mon Jun 22 05:03:46 EDT 2009

This is going to sound odd, but I have a friend who lives in the boonies
who only has an analog phone line for internet access and word has it
they won't have broadband (or most cell signals) for a couple more years.

I was wondering if anyone here might know of an affordable, stand-alone
device which would server as an analog modem on one side and ethernet or
wifi on the other?

The idea is to set their house up with a LAN where either their main
computer or a laptop could use the device as a dial-on-demand access
device and a router to the outside world while connected.

I'm trying to see if something can be set up so as not to have to use
any one computer as the router...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

PS: Yes, it needs to be Linux compatible.