Analog Modems?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 07:37:54 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Brian Chabot<brian at datasquire.net> wrote:
> I have a friend who lives in the boonies ...

  You spelled "New Hampshire" wrong.  ;-)

> ... who only has an analog phone line for internet access ...

  Have you looked into fixed-wireless ISPs?  If they're on a hill that
might be a viable option.  Or talk to Bill McGonigle about his
WAP-in-a-swamp configuration.  :)

> I was wondering if anyone here might know of an affordable, stand-alone
> device which would server as an analog modem on one side and ethernet or
> wifi on the other?

  Modem-to-Ethernet boxes used to be quite common about ten years ago.
 I bet you can find them on eBay real cheap now.  I've forgotten most
of the brand names, sorry.  Netopia used to make some, I think.  Add
in a WAP and there ya go.

  One word of warning, the dial-on-demand concept may be tricky these
days, where most software just assumes an Internet connection.  It
might trigger more than you want.

  You could also use a Linux box with diald; I've done that before.  I
prolly still have the config files somewhere.  One nice thing about
DIY is you generally get more control over things, like what it dials
for.  Got an old PC you can convert into an appliance?

  Or you could prolly use one of the various SBCs on the market.  Some
of them have serial ports; use an external modem.  Some of the LinkSys
boxes which run Linux could have an RS232 hacked on to them.  Others
have a USB port; you could use that and an RS232-to-USB adapter, or a
USB-attach modem.

  HTH,

-- Ben