Prelink/suspend applications?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Jun 24 12:08:57 EDT 2009

Tyson Sawyer <tyson at j3.org> writes:

> I have some applications that use lots of python and dynamic loading.
> The load/link stage of startup takes a rather long time.  The
> application is heavily built around dynamic loading of libraries and
> so I don't think that 'prelink' will work for us.
>
> Are there any tools that might allows us to something like start up a
> python shell, load/link the core libraries and modules, and then
> suspend it to disk where we could then launch multiple instances of
> it?  What other strategies might exist to speed up application start?

I found this (userspace) tool that does that sort of thing, years
ago--thanks for reminding me:

          http://esky.sourceforge.net/

It looks like it hasn't been maintained since the latter part of the
Linux-2.2 era (~a decade), so I have no idea how well (or even /if/)
it works more modern incarnations of Linux or Solaris. Even if it does
turn out to be just completely-out-of-touch with the modern world, it
may make an interesting springboard for building a tool of your own.

--
Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).