Question about the ADF of a scanner.

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Mon Mar 16 21:31:36 EDT 2009

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I just scored a free HP C6270A scanner with an automatic document feeder.
> Sane seems to talk to it just fine. I'm *almost* happy. The ADF seems to
> jam up. Is there something that I personally can do that's cost effective
> to fix the ADF or am I SOOL?

I have had this sort of problem with feed rollers on some scanners and
printers. Basically, they get glazed and cannot pull the paper. Cleaning
the feed rollers helps sometimes. Typically I use alcohol to clean them
and then, if I'm still having a problem, a very, very mild abrasive
(emery cloth, for example) to slightly roughen the roller surface. They
are other cleaning supplies which used to help, but I don't know whether
they still exist; they were used to clean typewriter rollers.

Of course, there could be another cause, but this might help.