[OT] Text vs HTML

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Tue Mar 17 20:52:08 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Dan Jenkins <dan at rastech.com> wrote:
> Yet another apology, I found why I was posting in HTML, even though I
> intended to explicitly send in text to gnhlug.org.
>
> I am truly sorry for that, as I am aware both of the technical and the
> personal reasons not to do so as some members have a strong objection to
> HTML email.

but, but, but....we use Mailman for GNHLUG lists.  The list
policies/settings should reflect the preferences of it's users so as not to
cause undue effort or embarassment to comply with the norm.

In the mailman list admin area, under "Content Filtering" there is an option
to have Mailman automatically clean-up text/html parts. vis.

Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion
happens after MIME attachments have been stripped.

Aren't GNHLUG lists configured that way?  (I'm not a GNHLUG mailman admin,
but I play one on TV -err, I mean at work)

I prefer to compose and read email in text and do so 99% of the time, but
I'd hate to appear rude or uninformed if I forgot to switch GMail from "Rich
formatting" to "Plain Text"

As an aside, I'd be in favor of Google changing the descriptions to
"non-standard" and "standard text"

~ Greg