Grub issues

jesse205 at gmail.com jesse205 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 17:27:38 EDT 2009

The partition sda1 had been windows at one point, but I reinstalled windows
on a sdb (not today). The partition sda3 has always been the ubuntu
partition (a monolithic system as far as mount points). I guess the issue
is that today I reformatted sda1 to use as /var/backup and so I wiped out
that original MBR?

Do I really need to reinstall Ubuntu on sda3? I'm mostly afraid of losing
the system, I do have a backup but its kinda pieced together and I think it
could end up being painful for me if I had to reinstall...

I'm pretty familiar with using the installation disc, I know what you mean
about not letting it format anything. But, what will happen if I reinstall
over the existing installation?

Isn't there a way to use the live CD just to repair the MBR?

Thanks,