recommendations on virtualization software

Jeffrey O'brien JObrien at expertserver.com
Thu Mar 19 14:56:24 EDT 2009

From: 	Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
To:	<gnhlug-discuss at mail.gnhlug.org>
Date: 	3/19/2009 2:13 PM
Subject: 	Re: recommendations on virtualization software

On Thursday 19 March 2009 12:06:18 Jeffrey O'brien wrote:
> Your best bet for OS support would be in VMware(Try Server, its Free and less bloated than workstation), due to the binary translation they are able to run the most variety of OSes (BSD's, Solaris x86, Windows, Linux 2.4 -2.6).  For 64bit support you will have to enable VT for your intel platform in the BIOS (under processor options as the default is disabled, AMD is enabled by default).  KVM is up and coming and is a good choice for running Linux and Windows, but you wont see other UNIX variant support there.

Sorry, but that's flat-out wrong. I have a KVM OpenSolaris guest up and
running right now. Solaris 10, Solaris 9, FreeBSD 6.x, FreeBSD 7.x and
OpenBSD 4.x are also all on the 'officially supported' list.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Thanks for the clarification.  Got to love the open source community and all the hard work that goes into getting these systems up and running quickly.
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Guest_Support_Status
http://pubs.vmware.com/guestnotes/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm
http://www.xen.org/files/machinelist.pdf
http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/specs.jsp