Cinelerra, high def MPEG from TiVo, slicing out a clip, creating DVD and portable versions

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri Mar 27 10:29:00 EDT 2009

> > Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:36:12 -0400
> > From: Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com>
>
> > SCENARIO
> >
> >   I have a one hour, high-definition news program, recorded on my TiVo
> > Series 3.  It is roughly 8 GB in size.  I want to extract a short
> > segment from that file -- maybe 5 minutes.
>
> > I then want to do two things with the clip: (1) Produce a DVD-Video
> > disc which will play in most typical DVD players.  (2) Produce a
> > "portable version" which is of more suitable file size, and which
> > will play "out of the box" on most MS Windows

I have a Series 2 TiVo FWIW.

MPEG chopping has issues with sound syncing.

I purchased a copy of VideoReDo for Windows (ugh, $30) that will cleanly
chop MPEG files.  In addition it can convert .TiVo to MPEG and identify and
strip commercials.

I think the trial version might work for you 1 time.  But it is windows :-(

I've heard of gopchop also.

FWIW, I've used kmttg to pull, tivoconvert and generate metadata.  VideoReDo
to strip commercials (& generate metadata).  Then pyTiVo to publish the .mpg
files back to the TiVo.