Cinelerra, high def MPEG from TiVo, slicing out a clip, creating DVD and portable versions

VirginSnow at vfemail.net VirginSnow at vfemail.net
Sun Mar 29 23:10:20 EDT 2009

> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:18:24 -0400
> From: Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com>

*sigh* video on Linux can be so frustrating sometimes.

> ffmpeg -acodec copy -vcodec copy -itsoffset -00:04:40 -i full.mpeg -ss
> 00:04:40 -t 00:03:00 clip.mpeg
>
>   That yielded video from the wrong part of the program, still with no
> sound.  I also tried dropping the minus sign from the offset argument,
> which yielded *different* wrong video with no sound.

> (1) share knowledge and (2) in case someone spots an easy fix.

Easy fix?  I'll propose two of them:

 (1) Try selecting different codecs for output audio/video.  I know
     you want to preserve the original quality; you may sacrifice
     something this way.  I've had good luck chopping MJPEG streams.

 (2) You could try using ffmpeg to rip the audio and video to separate
     files and recombine them.  This *may* introduce A/V desynch,
     however.  Something like:

     # extract audio
     ffmpeg -i infile -f wav audio.wav
     # remerge audio with video
     ffmpeg -acodec copy -vcodec copy -i infile -i audio.wav outfile -map 0:0 -map 1:0

     I've used this method (with a soxmix between the ffmpegs) to do
     voiceovers.