[OT] Re: UNIX license plate

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Thu May 14 13:47:20 EDT 2009

> I'm surprised they let through HACKER with all of the criminal
> rep that name has unjustly acquired.

I have no idea how DMV personnel decide what's acceptable on vanity
plates but I saw "455H01E" not long ago so I guess they haven't
perfected their filtering techniques.

My car has my official single MA plate on the back and one of those
Compaq LINUX plates on the front where I suppose the casual observer
might conclude it's official NH issue.  I was recently parked for
just a few moments in downtown Lowell and came back outside to find
a meter lady writing me a ticket.  I asked her what the violation was
and she mumbled something incoherent about the plates being different.
I pressed for an explanation about specificially what the problem was
and after much additional incoherence she finally tore up the citation
and wandered away muttering.  For all I know there may indeed be some
(interpretation of some sort of) regulation that I'm violating with
my plates, and even if not she probably still had the power to tangle
me up by issuing the citation out of spite, so I guess I got lucky...