[OT] Re: UNIX license plate

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri May 22 10:35:04 EDT 2009

"Michael ODonnell" <michael.odonnell at comcast.net> writes:

> I was recently parked for just a few moments in downtown Lowell and
> came back outside to find a meter lady writing me a ticket.  I asked
> her what the violation was and she mumbled something incoherent
> about the plates being different.  I pressed for an explanation
> about specificially what the problem was and after much additional
> incoherence she finally tore up the citation and wandered away
> muttering.  For all I know there may indeed be some (interpretation
> of some sort of) regulation that I'm violating with my plates, and
> even if not she probably still had the power to tangle me up by
> issuing the citation out of spite, so I guess I got lucky...

I too, had one of those plates on the front of my car.  Recently when
I brought in for it's every-13-month re-inspection, the mechanic
performing the inspection informed me afterwards that he is required
to remove vanity plates from cars, as they are "now illegal".

I don't know if they're really illegal (nor have I bothered to find
out). And if they are, I have no idea when they became so, as I've had
that plate on there for several years.  I've even been stopped for
speeding and never had the officer comment on it (of course, he was
always behind me looking at the one valid plate).

--
Seeya,
Paul