Mythtv users + Comcast subscribers

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Fri May 29 15:20:29 EDT 2009

A recent Mythtv user, I have been going through a lot of effort to get
my (Comcast) channel lineup associated with the program data that I
get from SchedulesDirect.  Now there is help for people like me.  Due
to the fact that Comcast is distributing little Digital to Analog
converters (along with their switchover to DTV broadcasts), they are
now distributing the channel info in-band which makes it available to
us.

More specifically, there is a project on sourceforge with the tools
for grabbing this info and putting it into your Mythtv database.

See http://scte65scan.sourceforge.net/

>From the website:
Scans for in-band SCTE 65 tables. Allows automatic mapping of virtual
channel numbers to callsigns and physical channels. Useful for the
transition from analog CATV to digital CATV. Comcast is one such cable
provider making these tables available.

p.s. You'll see the acronym 'POD'.  I had no idea what that stood for,
so I looked it up.  POD stands for Point Of Deployment and is an
actual ANSI standard in the world of Cable Television
ANSI/SCTE 28 2007 	Host-POD Interface Standard
http://www.scte.org/content/index.cfm?pID=59 for gory details on that.

--
Greg Rundlett
Web Developer - Initiative in Innovative Computing