[OT] DTV switch-over (was: Mythtv users + Comcast subscribers)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri May 29 17:23:39 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> If I recall correctly, the digital version of a standard-def program
> actually consumes less bandwidth to transmit than the
> analog variant of the same ...

  That much I know is accurate.  You can compress a digital signal.  I
seem to recall that standard definition compresses at roughly a 5:1
ratio.  So the bandwidth savings could be significant.

  I'm not surprised to hear the CATV providers want to do this.  But I
predict significant confusion, as much of the DTV transition guidance
I've seen has been saying that "if you've got cable, you don't have to
worry".

-- Ben