Upgrade intrepid -> jaunty apt-get issues Could not resolve '@localhost'

bruce.labitt at autoliv.com bruce.labitt at autoliv.com
Tue Nov 3 15:05:22 EST 2009

Trying to actually make it all the way to karmic, but stopping at jaunty
until this apt-get problem is resolved.

apt-get update reports that it failed to fetch blah blah, Could not
resolve '@localhost'

apt-get update appears that it cannot access any of the us.ubuntu, or main
archive files due to the could not resolve '@localhost'

apt-get update did work in intrepid

cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost myhostname
127.0.1.1 myhostname myhostname.mydomain
bunch of other IPs and names

# The following lines are ...
ipv6 stuff here

Running ntlmaps http proxy  127.0.0.1:5865      <-- seems to work
wget works using above proxy
firefox uses above proxy, works

Can't find apt.conf on my system.  There is however,
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/proxy

$ cat proxy
Acquire::http::Proxy "http://127.0.0.1:5865/";

The upgrade seems to be at jaunty:
lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:  Ubuntu
Release:         9.04
Codename:        jaunty

Google gives me no substantive leads.

Also, Update Manager is not giving a button to upgrade to Karmic, although
the Release upgrade button is set to "Normal Releases"

One thing I did notice is that there was an initial error in the upgrade
from intrepid to jaunty for setting up global.

In /var/log/apt/term.log is the error

Setting up global (5.7.1-1) ...
hostname:  Unknown host
dpkg: error processing global (--configure):

Any suggestions?  I just reinstalled global, but the "Could not resolve
'@localhost' " error in apt-get update remains...

apt-get check is happy, finds no problems...

Even tried a reboot... nope...  Suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks!

-Bruce

Bruce Labitt
Autoliv Electronics
1011B Pawtucket Blvd, PO Box 1858