Does the on-disk image of an executable ever change?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 08:34:26 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Matt Brodeur <mbrodeur at nexttime.com> wrote:
>> I don't think [prelink] writes to the binaries themselves.
>
> It does, but...

  Ah.  Good to know.  Thanks.

  (MS Windows has a similar feature, but keeps the prelink results in
a different file.  I think this is a rare case of me preferring the
Microsoft mechanism.  The idea of directly modifying binaries gives me
the heebie-jeebies.)

> ..."rpm -V" should do a prelink-aware verify.

  Well, then, since we're here, what does it mean when "rpm -V"
indicates "prelink" in the output?  :)   I remember RPM complaining
about that on at least one of my systems.  *A lot*.

  FYI, for anyone playing along at home: I decided I'd rather not have
the uncertainty, so I disabled all that prelink stuff and removed it.
I believe the commands were:

	prelink -ua
	rpm --erase prelink

-- Ben