(easy) backups [HALF SOLVED]

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Sun Nov 8 18:34:25 EST 2009

A proper personal backup system should include both disk duplication
and archives.

JWZ's procedure is good for the disk duplication part, assuming you're
only backing up one personal machine. It doesn't obviate the need for
an archiving strategy as well.

Something like rsnapshot or BackupPC is good for that. For an offsite
component, one approach that might work is to pair up with a friend,
where you both run shared backup servers. You back your laptop to
your local server, and have it sync itself with your friend's server to store
an offsite copy, and he does the same in reverse, using your server for
his offsite copy.

AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.blu.org / YAHOO abreauj / SKYPE zusa_it_mgr
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9