(easy) backups [SOLVED]

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Nov 9 08:28:32 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Alan Johnson <alan at datdec.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
>
>>  On 11/07/2009 10:21 AM, Alan Johnson wrote:
>>

> That's all very good, and typical of *nix systems (a la logrotate), but
> IMHO, a perfect system would not throw away anything until there was not
> enough space for the new.  As you add systems/data, you loose history, but
> you can add storage when you want more history rather than when you are
> worried about having enough room for the next backup.

My ideal has been NetApp style snapshots.  Every 15 minutes, hour, day,
week, month.  Keep them until the next higher one or as space allows.
OpenSolaris does this for free, now.  It typically adds 10% to the storage.

That takes care of 90% of restores for users.  I had 225G for 200 users
1996-2000 and never had to restore from tape.

Then, take periodic archives (weekly, monthly?) to other media until it
rots.  Tape, DVD, drives, etc.  Because hardware fails and so does media.

Anyone got a good recomendation for archiving (with indexing) to
DVD/Tape/idle USB drives?