Suggestions solicited, server bring up

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Sun Nov 15 07:37:25 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Šarūnas <sarunas at mail.saabnet.com> wrote:

> Bruce Labitt wrote:
> > Incredibly naive question:  Since there is no GUI installed in Ubuntu
> > Server (I believe),
>
> And nothing prohibits installing GUI on the "server" either, for example:

Nothing except, perhaps, mochismo.   Seriously though, and apt-get install
ubuntu-desktop takes a server install from about 350MB and a few hundred
packages to over 3GB and several thousand packages.  If you don't mind that
and the extraneous services that come along with it (are you planning on
sharing a printer to this thing?) then go nuts.  Besides, this is YOUR
sandbox, right?  You build your sand castle however you want. =)

> If you want something lean, try Ubuntu JeOS ("just enough OS"). That
> install doesn't take more than 10 minutes on 2950. Then do the rest over
> ssh. Much depends on what are you up to "playing" with...

Yes, even cleaner, but not the giant difference between a base server
install and ubuntu-desktop.  Also, I don't know if those nice shell features
I mentioned in my last message are available in here by default and I have
not taking the time to figure out how to enable them on a user account that
does not already have them, but I'm sure it can be done.