recording Comcast digital channels with MythTV

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Nov 25 23:51:59 EST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Where "expensive" is $200.
>>
>>  Ahhh, I wasn't aware they had come down in price.  Last I was told,
>> they were in the four figures.  Thanks for the link!
>
> Keep in mind that even with this device you still need a way to change
> the channel on the cablebox, so you need an IR blaster or something like
> that too.

Good thing there's an IR transceiver built into the HD-PVR itself. :)

IR transmit and receive are both functional under Linux with a bit of kernel patching (or no patching at all if you're running the latest Fedora 11 or 12 kernels), but there's still an issue with occasional device hangs during a recording when the IR part is active. There's a new firmware and windows driver update that was just released that explicitly mentions fixing some issues with the IR part though, which may well solve the hangs...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com