VPN problem...

Alex Hewitt hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Thu Oct 1 16:59:52 EDT 2009

I recently was relating on the list how a client was having a problem
with their Linksys BEFSX41 router and the solution was that Linksys
RMA'd the router. They apparently have removed the BEFSX41 model from
their active product list so they sent me a BEFVP41 v2 model. I received
it yesterday, configured it and tested it from my office network. The
router was set to obtain it's WAN address dynamically from it's WAN
connection. It connected fine to a wireless bridge that I use for this
purpose and I could surf the web from behind it with a PC. I then
configured the VPN tunnel exactly as the old router was set up and it
immediately connected to the customer's end point and I could ping
systems located at the end point LAN. I tore down the setup and put the
router in a container to set up at my client's location this morning.

I got to the client site and thought that all that was going to be
necessary was to set the WAN address of the Linksys router to match the
static address being provided by Comcast at the customer location. As
soon as I did that I was able to connect to the internet from behind the
router. But I then noticed that the VPN was not connected. Since the VPN
settings were identical to the previous router there shouldn't have been
a problem. For the fun of it I set the router to obtain it's WAN address
dynamically and immediately the VPN tunnel connected. I checked the logs
but didn't see anything obviously wrong. I did notice that when the
router is setup to use a dynamic address, it has the correct date and
time. When it's set up with a static address the status page says "time
unavailable". I think this might be part of the problem. If the router
doesn't know the time (perhaps the clock can't be used?) then the VPN
connection might not work. I'm also puzzled as to what server it's
requesting date/time data from. It has the ability to manually set the
time zone but doesn't give any choices as to which ntp server to use.

Does anyone have any ideas? So far Linksys support hasn't been very useful.

-Alex