tweaking sockets / OS parameters for speed

bruce.labitt at autoliv.com bruce.labitt at autoliv.com
Fri Oct 2 14:23:42 EDT 2009

I tried netpipe-tcp aka NPtcp between the nodes.  Made an interesting
graph.  It shows that my system doesn't exceed 100Mbps unless the message
size is greater than ~2K bytes.  If the message size is over 16K, then the
network can deliver 300Mbps.  At a 1MB message the throughput is ~
600Mbps.  After that things flatten out.  This is with the current tcp
buffer size.

This is with ipv4.  I think my system is connecting as ipv6.  Would this
make a difference?

NPtcp offers a switch to change the tcp buffer size for the experiment.
Where is the value (and what is it called) that stores the tcp buffer
size?  Is it in sysctl.conf?

thanks!
-Bruce