How Apple makes more profit on their systems...

Jefferson Kirkland numberwhun at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 10:46:49 EDT 2009

While you make valid points, it definitely comes down to the person.

I am and will always be a person who LOVES their desktop real estate and you
are correct, my max resolution is 1440x900.  But, I am also able to adapt to
a slightly smaller resolution considering the money I saved.

While I am also a geek and love the new technology aspect of things, I am
also of a mind (over the past 6 1/2 months of being unemployed) that more
expensive isn't necessarily better for each.  I have yet to have an issue
with my display as far as brightness or glare.  It has been quite good and
manageable.  The hard drive is fine and I have not had any issues with being
too slow.

Sure, I went an configured a laptop at HP that had the nice quad core
processor, massive amounts of ram and hard drive space (2 hard drives to be
exact) and yes, it was quite expensive.  But I could do the same with an
Apple price wise, but they don't have options for quad core processors, dual
hard drives, etc.  (I am aware that most vendors don't offer the quad core
laptop processor yet)

While Apple does use more expensive equipment, I also find that they also
don't make a ton of effort at providing more powerful or larger equipment
(storage size wise that is).  They aren't exactly about the power where as a
bunch of geeks do complain about that, and I don't blame them.  Other laptop
makers are able to provide aesthetics and power to please people, instead of
kind of saying, "look at us, we're Apple and we have machines that run our
OS".  Sure they have machines to run the OS, but IMHO, they would probably
have even more people switch to Apple if they were to make more powerful
machines as well.

Like you said though, they are a nich.  :)  Its not that they are not for
me, just not at this time (mostly because of $$$).  If I had the money, I
would probably have one as I do like them.

Regards,

Jeff